× Discuss old and vintage Geiger counters and equipment. Please try to keep this to pre-1990's counters and other radiation related equipment from that era.

Some old manuals

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #6948 by FSM19
Some old manuals was created by FSM19
These are some old UK Civil Defence RADIAC manuals. 
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simomax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #6949 by Simomax
Replied by Simomax on topic Some old manuals
Brilliant. Thanks FSM19.

I'll add to those a couple for the UK Meter Contamination No1. I also have the brother to that meter. Meter Contamination No.2? I can't remember. I'll have to dig it out. Not sure if I have a manual with that, but if I do, I'll scan it and post that too!
Attachments:

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #6950 by FSM19
Replied by FSM19 on topic Some old manuals
BTW I have a website with info on UK civil defence RADIAC gear: https://www.tocsin-bang.com/radiac.html

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #6952 by Simomax
That's great. I have just had a very quick browse over it. You have some good info on there. I'll have a proper read of it later tonight.

I do have a Radiac No 2, but sadly the batteries were left in too long (before I bought it) and they have corroded so much it is impossible to remove the battery cover. I have just left it as is as a non working collection piece. It wouldn't be much good anyway even if it did work due to it's insensitive ion chamber, and I do have some others that I can use in SHTF situation. Lets hope I never have to use any of them. In fact, I'll be more than happy to never see those meter needles move, ever! Unless I manage to get my hands on a source that I probably shouldn't get my hands on! 
The following user(s) said Thank You: FSM19

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #6953 by FSM19
Replied by FSM19 on topic Some old manuals
You can test the operation of both the No1 & No2 RADIAC meters with a small  alpha source. At the meter end, there is a screw plug, near the bottom. Just unscrew it and insert the source!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simomax

More
2 weeks 1 day ago - 2 weeks 1 day ago #6954 by Simomax
I never knew that. That's quite interesting.

I have just dug mine out (complete with Haversack No. 6) to have a look. I completely forgot that it has a laminated card inside and a note showing it has had a modification. I didn't realise how interesting this meter is. I popped it open for the first time and wow, it is very well built. It has an ion chamber that I have never seen before. It seems half open to the elements. I expected something similar to the CDV-715/717/720. Also interesting that it has an aluminium plate under a cover you have to unscrew. I assume that is to shield beta? That hole you mention for inserting an alpha source goes right into the ion chamber. It also appears to have had four modifications in the past. Looks like each was officially stamped inside too.

I still cant budge the battery cover and one of the screws close to it has also corroded and rusted so some special persuasion is needed I think. One for another day. The insides look good though with just a tiny bit of leakage by the gasket on the battery compartment, so it may be salvageable. I should be able to get the bakelite battery chamber out from the insides and that should give me access to the other side of the battery cover. Again, one for another day. Its a nice meter though. Would also make a nice self defence weapon due to it's weight and strength!

ETA: It takes 4 batteries?? I can see where the two 1.5v 'D' size batteries should go, and seems as mine is modified it only needs one 1.5v battery, but where do the other two (9v & 30v) go? 

Here a some pictures. Feel free to copy them for your personal collection or website, and you can have the high-res versions if you want.

Attachments:
Last edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by Simomax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juzzie

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds